Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Letter to CWN8S nurses who took care of me for 6 weeks

A weird thing to post on a blog, perhaps.  But I wanted a copy for myself and for Carlos to remember how I felt about these nurses and the way they treated us.  I am still not content with the letter, as it doesn't even begin to capture how I feel.  It took me a while to even sit down to write it at all because I didn't know where to start.  I get emotional every time I start to write or read it.  Some of it's hormones, of course, but honestly, most of it is being sheerly overwhelmed by such kindness.
--------

Dear Nurses and Staff of CWN 8S,
I can't even begin to list individual names--I'm sorry. You were ALL so wonderful, and I'm afraid I'd inadvertently leave someone out.

I want to express my most heartfelt and deepest gratitude for everything each and every one of you did for me during my 6-week stay in CWN 856.  There was not a day or an hour that went by that I didn't get top-notch care with genuine warmth and smiles.  Those 6 weeks were a frightening time for me and Carlos, but your unwavering support, good cheer, and positive attitudes gave us strength and cheered us both up.

In a sort of odd way, those 6 weeks of bed rest were the best and most important of my entire life so far, as they made all the difference in the world for the 2 little boys that entered this world healthy as a result.  I cannot ever begin to explain how much of an important role you played in giving us/them those 6 weeks.  Life always amazes and confounds me with its ability to bring people in and out of our lives so frequently.  Despite the short time I've known all of you, you will always be part of our lives and our family story, which we are just now beginning to create together. We will all be forever grateful.

I've always respected nurses, but I feel more now than ever that you deserve every benefit, pay raise, honor, praise, award, etc. that could possibly be offered to you, and even that would fall short.  Thank you for doing what you do every day to help people and for making a difference in our lives.

I'll send pictures of the boys you all struggled to monitor on the NST and doppler as soon as they are home with us.  They are happy, healthy, and mischievous already, and they just moved to the intermediate NICU.

I wish you all a happy, healthy, joyous holiday season, and thank you for making this the best holiday season of my life so far.

With lots of love,
Amy Kirkcaldy, Carlos Gattas, Adrian Jonathan, and Sebastian Diego

No comments: