Friday, April 22, 2016

My Babies Are Growing!

No, not Adrian and Sebastian!  (Although, they certainly are growing, too!)  I'm talking about my plant babies, as the boys refer to them.  Now I'm the crazy plant lady who rushes home to check on her "babies."

First, over my spring break, I ordered a composter.  I've been wanting one since we moved to Easton.  Finally can get one started.

I have grow lights and am growing a ton of seeds indoors:  cucumbers, dill, basil, a few types of chili peppers and tomatoes, broccoli, nasturtium, chard, eggplant, and surely some other things I'm forgetting about.  Here's my set up.





Now I'm hardening off some that can go out in the garden before May 1, the last frost date.  This weekend, I'll start hardening off everything since it's already the end of April.


Over the March break, I also ordered loam/compost for some new raised beds.  I continue to have 2 4x4 beds in the back, but they are too shady to grow vegetables.  They work only for herbs, lettuce, kale, and peas.  I'm keeping those going, but I really wanted to grow peppers and tomatoes and experiment with other stuff, too.

Finally, last weekend (and thanks for a Monday off for Patriot's Day), I moved 2 cubic yards of dirt, finished my two raised beds, made the grids, and built the cages.  Phew.  Then I planted some bee balm, lamb's ear, garlic, onions, carrots, spinach, peas, beets, and radishes.  I also put in 3 raspberry bushes and a blueberry bush.  Those will probably need to be moved from there, but I needed to plant them somewhere for now.  Still to direct sow: epazote (common in Mexican cooking), squash and some other stuff I'm not recalling right now.  I also have potatoes going in buckets with Adi (it's his project with me) and strawberries and a fig tree.  I would LOVE to have some fruit growing in the yard!!




The next big project is to renovate the lawn.  Bought this stuff because it's worked miracles for my mom and brother.  Still waiting for appropriate weather to apply it!



No comments: