Monday, March 5, 2012

Milestones

This may be boring for people reading the blog, but I would like to keep track of certain milestones that occur as the boys grow.  This is the only place I'm writing or recording this info, so sorry!  Skip this one if are looking for a lot of pictures...

Sebastian rolled over again last night.  I think he'll be doing it all the time now, as he seems to have figured out HOW to do it instead of just doing it by accident.

They are both grabbing for things now--occasionally.  I wouldn't say it's a habit or that they do it every time there is something in front of them, but if I put them in the bouncy seats with the bar of toys dangling in front of them, they both will start jumping like Mexican jumping beans and will occasionally bat at the toys and try to grab them.  It's cute to watch.

Sebastian weighs 12 pounds...I haven't weighed Adrian since he went to the GI doctor last week, but he was 10 lbs 12 oz a week ago, so easily he's over 11 pounds now, I think.

We had a formula debacle that I think we've finally resolved.  The pediatrician wanted to switch both boys to the same formula (Enfamil Infant) so that I wouldn't have to be mixing up 2 different formulas.  It sounded like a good idea...but neither boy could tolerate the new formula.  They were SUPER gassy (yes, even more than usual) and fussy and miserable for almost a week until I gave up and called the pediatrician.  We agreed to put both boys back on the preemie formula.  Sebastian was on this before we tried the infant formula, but Adrian was on the Newborn formula.  In any event, it seems to be gentler and working much better.

Adrian's GI issues seem to be under control, and it's WONDERFUL to have a baby that isn't in pain all the time!  His personality can come out now, and I love what I see.  He's a sweet, sweet boy and very quick to offer a smile and a giggle to anyone who is around him.

Unfortunately, that same social behavior by Adrian is killing me at nap time.  He needs to be held to sleep!  We (and all the NICU nurses who held him so much) knew this day would come--Thanks, Marcy! ;)  So we are working with him now on establishing good sleep habits.  It's SO OBVIOUS that he's just manipulating us with his incredibly large pout.  I've never seen a baby with a larger pout when he wants to put it on.  I think I've already posted this picture a while ago, but here's the pout I'm talking about....Incredibly dramatic, isn't it?!


So, we've had to let him do a bit of crying when he goes down for a nap.  I know there's nothing wrong with him--he's not hungry or in pain and he has a clean diaper.  If I touch him or talk to him, he calms down immediately, so he's just wanting the attention!  I find it amazing how smart they are at such a young age to be able to manipulate me and tug at my heartstrings to get what they want!

We're also putting Adrian in the crib now instead of the nap nanny.  Now that the reflux is under control there's no reason not to get him used to the crib.  He can't sleep in the nap nanny forever, and we might as well get him used to a crib and self-soothing at the same time so it's only miserable for us (Carlos and me) once.

This week, I'm also trying to phase out the 3AM feeding.  I'm doing this by feeding them less and less every night at that hour and also moving the actual feeding by 15 min to a half hour every night.  So for example, two nights ago, I fed them 2 oz at 3AM.  Last night I fed them a little over 1 oz at 3:30AM.  Let's hope after another night or two they just sleep through it.

Finally, this morning I think the boys finally realized that the other one exists!!!  They looked right at each other and smiled.  They had both been looking at me and smiling so I know that they were acknowledging my presence.  I guess that they were also acknowledging the other's presence when they finally looked at each other and smiled.  It was great to see!  Sebastian even appeared to try to grab at Adrian.  Might have been a coincidence, but he was trying to grab at other things this morning, so maybe not!


No comments: