Sunday, December 15, 2013

Snowy Weekend

What a strange weather weekend.  It's been about 20 degrees cooler than normal around here for the past week or so.  We were supposed to have a relatively big snowstorm this Saturday night into Sunday.  I was actually looking forward to it--I don't mind the snow when there's no where to go.  And I figured that if we got enough, it might stick around long enough for us to have a white Christmas.  It started to snow early Saturday evening, but by the middle of the night it was all rain, and it turned the snow on the ground to a slushy sloppy mess.  Then, this morning, it all froze over so it's a sheet of black ice.  And it doesn't look very pretty because the snow is now just slush.

Anyway, here's a rundown of a rather uneventful weekend.  

Saturday morning a mason came over to take a look at our chimney and make sure we wouldn't light the house on fire if we lit a fire.  He said it was clean and in good shape.  

We didn't do too much for the rest of the day Saturday.  We ran  a few errands to pick up Yankee Swap gifts and food so we could cook dinner.  Then we headed home and played and watched Thomas the Train all day with the boys.  The boys are still completely obsessed with Thomas.

They have a Thomas puzzle that their cousin "Kitchen" gave them.  They fight over it nonstop.  The other day, Adrian was kissing and hugging the puzzle.


Then he just put the puzzle down on the ground, put his puppy over it, and laid his head down on top.

Later that day, the boys played with the "blankie."  This game basically involves the boys climbing on top of this plaid blanket while Carlos drags them all over the floor.  They love it...the static makes their hair stand on end.


 Sebastian can spend a half an hour all by himself playing with Thomas.  He LOVES his trains.  Adrian is more fascinated with the TV show than with the trains themselves.






Adrian did my hair.  He's actually pretty gentle, and he has a blast fluffing it, pulling it, and moving it around.


This morning, after we cleared up from the storm, we hit Target to get a few odds and ends.  Nothing exciting, just aluminum foil, sandwich bags, trash bags. and parchment paper.  The boys enjoyed stomping in the puddles in the parking lot with their "new" boots.


Finally, this afternoon, Grumpy came over for a bit.  We lit a fire in the fireplace for the first time.  It was cozy, but hard to enjoy.  We put The Snowman and some Thomas episodes on my iPad so that the boys would stay in the room and not break everything.  They were good, but it wasn't really relaxing.  Next time, we'll light it after the boys are in bed.









The boys haven't been napping more than an hour for me and Carlos (they nap 2.5 hours for Natalie!).  So they went to bed at 6:30 tonight and fell asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow.  It's only 8pm here, but I'm already sleepy.  I don't think I'll last much longer.

I read almost a whole book: Loving Frank about Mamah Cheney's love affair with Frank Lloyd Wright.  It was pretty good, but not what I was expecting.  I had no idea at all what the book was about when I got it from the library.  It had just been recommended to me.  This is the first book I've read for pleasure in quite a while.  I need to read more.  I forget lately how much I love to read.

I'm so glad this is the last week before vacation.  Only 4 more days with the kids and 1 (maybe 2 more) after they leave to wrap up ends.  Then I'm off until January 5!  Nice 2-week vacation this year...

No comments: