Saturday, September 28, 2013

Saying Bye to September

This month has seemed never-ending.  Hard to believe I started school only a month ago.  I feel like summer vacation never happened.  

I had forgotten how busy this time of year is at work.  It's insane.  I spend most evenings--after the boys are in bed--working.  I have to check email, read essays, and write letters.  I have more letters to write than last year, and more students are applying early as well.  It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now.  This past week I hardly found time to write letters (and I'm now falling behind) because of a Tuesday-night faculty meeting and a college fair on Thursday evening.  

To top it all off, I landed a freelance project about financial aid.  It's been an interesting learning experience to say the least.  I'm rusty with my writing, and I've never written this kind of article before. Basically, I have to produce an 8-10 page booklet for college students on financial literacy.  I just submitted my second draft.  We'll see how it goes.  I don't have much more time to work on it.  It's really been stressing me out since it's sucking up every bit of free time I have right now.

I don't want to think about work anymore!  I'll talk about the past few weekends since I haven't found the time to blog about them.  

Two weekends ago we finally went to Frothingham Park, near the center of Easton.  There is a huge multi-use field with bleachers that the boys loved.











There is also a playground with a huge sandbox.  There are toys left there for people to use.  The boys looooove sandboxes!  We were the only ones there that Sunday morning, which was great.




Then the boys discovered the slide...


 They went up and down like ten times each--all by themselves!!!


Last  Monday, Adrian came home from daycare with a fever.  Someone always gets sick when I'm busiest.  I took him to the pediatrician because I thought it was probably another ear infection.  Turns out his ears looked good, which was both good and bad:  good because maybe he's actually turned a corner and managed to have a cold and not get an ear infection.  Bad because that meant he had a virus...so no daycare.  Both boys ended up missing Tuesday and Wednesday of last week (we thought it would be easier to just keep Sebastian home too).  My mom was nice enough to stay with them one day and Carlos took the other.  And luckily, the virus lasted less than 24-hours.

On a related note, this past Friday was the boys' last day of daycare.  It was bittersweet.  I will miss the teachers and the community, but it is also such a huge relief.  I am so excited to have Natalie start.

Back to our weekend fun.  Finally, last Sunday, we checked out the Sheep Pasture in Easton, right near Hilliard's on rte. 138.  It's free, and pretty nice.  Visitors can hike and look at the animals.




We also moved the desk in the basement to the guest room so that when Carlos works from home he doesn't disturb Natalie and the boys.  I managed to convince him that she needs space to do her job.  She won't have an easy time establishing her authority with the boys if we are under foot.  After the desk was removed, we put the table we got from Michelle in the playroom so the boys can use it to color and do art projects.  The space seems so much bigger now!



This past Friday morning I took Adrian to an ENT doctor at Children's Hospital in Weymouth.  We had a breakfast date first.  My little piglet ate *5* donut holes before the appointment.  It will be cheaper to just buy him a whole donut from now on, I think!

As we waited for the doctor, he sat himself down at this mini table and "read" a nutrition magazine that someone left on the table.


Turns out we don't have to be worried about his ears yet.  The tubes are still in place and three ear infections after tubes is not worrisome.  For now, the doctor said we just keep an eye on his ears.  I figured as much, but I was glad to establish a connection with Children's so I can take him there from now on if we need an ENT doctor.

This morning the boys went to their second Music Together class with Carlos and me.  It was even more horrible than the first class.  Last week, they were just super rambunctious.  This week, they were rambunctious and obnoxious.  Sebastian kept pushing a little girl, and they were tackling poor Liam, their friend from daycare.  I don't know what gets into them when they are in that class.  They are hyper active devils.  I think some of it is that it's a new experience.  Also, the room seems a little small for so many kids and parents.  We are all tripping all over each other.  Anyway, I'm in it for the long haul because I stupidly paid for a whole year of classes to get the discount.  I had no idea they would act like this.  Hopefully it will get better with time.

After the music class we went to Autumn Fest in Bridgewater.  We met my mom and Mrs. O there, walked around, had Cape Cod Cafe pizza for lunch, and let the boys ride the train.
I'm not sure why this photo is so off center!
 This afternoon after naps, we went to Patriot Place to check out the nature trail and the Bass Pro Shop. The trail is quite nice.  It's not ideal at all for a stroller, but we managed.






The Pro Shop was awesome!  I don't like to hunt or fish, but it's like Disney World inside--very cool place to spend some time.  They have a huge shooting arcade that will be fun when the boys are older, an aquarium tank, and various animals and displays around the store.

While Carlos and Sebastian got the car (which we had left at the start of the nature trail), Adrain checked out the all-terrain vehicles outside the store.  This was his favorite.



I've missed blogging.  I hope that things will die down once I submit this freelance article, and I'm counting the days until November 15th when nearly all my letters will have been written!

No comments: