Friday, June 1, 2012

Success!

The boys' first full day at daycare was a resounding success!!!  They napped (not stellar naps, but they slept throughout the day nonetheless!), they were "full of smiles," and seemed to be enjoying tummy time when I looked at them via the cameras.  Yeah Adrian and Sebastian!!!!

I did the drop off in the morning.  Despite the fact I had only packed a bag for one day, I had a ton of stuff.  I had to bring 8 bottles (3 ready to go bottles and one empty set plus formula for each boy), crib sheets, blankets, bibs, bowls and spoons, jars of food, etc., etc., etc.  The drop off went smoothly and by 7:50 I was back at home.  No tears from the boys or from me.  We all did what we had to do.  At home, I took the dog out and got on my way to work.


Ready for their day at daycare!
I had to go to the bank this morning to deposit my condo fee.  I go to Bank of America to withdraw money from the ATM and then across the street to Watertown Savings Bank to make the deposit.  The Savings Bank doesn't open until 8:30.  While I was walking to the BOA, I saw a blind woman with her seeing eye dog.  There are LOTS of blind people in Watertown thanks to the Perkins School.  So this is not unusual.  But this woman looked like she was a bit lost so I asked if I could help her find something.  She was looking for the BOA and was right there...so close...just not quite facing the right direction.  So I buzzed her into the ATM and let her go first.  She was nice and asked if I wanted to use the ATM first since it would take her a while.  I had time to kill until the other bank opened so I told her I was in no hurry.  It was actually interesting to see how she used the ATM.  I didn't spy on her but I could see her plug a headset into the ATM.  I never noticed that capability before.  What you take for granted....

Anyway, on her way out we said goodbye and that was that.  I got my money and was going to cross the street (busy Main St/Rte 20).  She heard someone approaching asked tentatively if I could help her.  I don't think she was even sure if it was the same person who helped her with the ATM, but she asked where there was a taxi stand.  So, I helped her cross the street and walked her to the taxis.  While we were waiting for the light to change, we started talking.  Her seeing eye dog's name was Nessie.  Somehow we got to talking about the fact that it was my first day back to work after maternity leave.  I told her I'd had twin boys that were born 2 months early.  She told me that she was a preemie born 3 months early in the '60s before there was any neonatal technology.  She immediately asked me how the babies are now....it really hit me at that moment that she was literally a MIRACLE baby.  In the 1960s there was virtually no neonatal technology.  She ended up visually impaired, but it's amazing she even survived.  But once again I couldn't help feel so grateful and blessed that my boys were NOT born 3 months early.

Work was nice.  It was wonderful to see everyone again after so long.  It will be nice to have somewhere to go in the morning again.  I will MISS those boys, but ultimately, this was the right decision.  I had a pretty good day at work too and was on my way home at 5pm.  Carlos picked the boys up...he walked to the daycare center and got them and walked home.  He met me on Main St. as I was walking home from the bus.  I don't think any of us believed how good the boys were today...

We kept the 6:30 bath, 7pm bottle, and 7:30 bedtime routine tonight and it worked well.  They are both fast asleep (knock on wood) in their sleep sacks UNSWADDLED.  :)

We've accomplished a lot in the past week!  Unswaddling, solid foods, 6 month mark and switching pediatricians, daycare...and they have done so well.  I'm so proud of them.  They are adaptable, happy little guys and I couldn't ask for sweeter babies.

I'm so grateful.

No comments: