Monday, December 17, 2012

Watertown Condo


In preparation for closing on 12/28, I thought I'd share some updates about the condo.

Luckily, I was off the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and the Monday after.  And, most importantly, the daycare was open.  That meant I could go and actually get some packing done.  After a few trips to donate items to charity and 6 hours (each time) of packing, I managed to get most things in boxes and ready to be moved.  The attic is anothe story...most of the stuff up there is in boxes or bins anyway, but it's still a mess.  There's a lot of stuff up there I'd like to get rid of--like Carlos's old law books, but I'm guessing we're stuck with the damn things.  I got rid of old school papers, my master's capstone project (or whatever it was called), and some course books from college.  There's STILL more stuff to donate though...so much stuff.  I don't want so much stuff.

It is sad to pack up the condo.  I loved living there--sort of.  It's complicated and perhaps I'll flesh it out later, but not now.  The living space itself was great for us--just the right amount of room.  Of course it would have been nice to have more space, but we used every room and enjoyed living so close to the Charles River bike path and Boston.  I will definitely miss Watertown.  Someday I'd love to move back to the area, especially Belmont.  But I need half a million bucks first.

The hardest room to pack up and for me to go in is the boys' room.  So much care went into planning it, painting it, decorating it, etc.  And good memories with the boys in that room when I was at home during maternity leave.  It just makes me sad.

And so the boys can see where they lived when they were just born and the place they came home to after leaving the NICU, I'm going to post some before and after pictures of the condo.  I should have been more organized about this and gone room by room, but I don't have the patience or the time to do it right now.

View of living room from dining room

Kitchen--ugly linoleum floor; no lighting, old washer/dryer




Master bedroom with grody old carpet

awful bathroom with 4 different kinds of tile and old vanity

guest room/nursery with old carpet, yucky paneling, bad light fixture

dining room


third bedroom; just bad all over


nasty medicine cabinet and old wall paper

Ewwwwwww

ripping up the linoleum someone put over hardwood floor in nursery; I now think the tile had asbestos.  Whoops.

Bathroom in progress...this was the day the tile floor erupted and we discovered the subfloor was rotten.  

I scraped myself with a rusty nail that day and had to get a tetanus shot!

look at all the dirt that was under the carpet in the master bedroom!  At least 20 years' worth?

nursery after carpet was pulled up

backyard...the tree on the right later fell down in a storm!

another view of the kitchen; taken from the porch

bathroom with new subfloor and new toilet.  Waiting to put new vanity, medicine cabinet, and tile floor in

vanity installed
The third bedroom was the "junk room" for a looong time


Guest room after we bought the new bed

Guest room.  I barely remember when it looked like this!

third bedroom


master bedroom in progress

Carlos getting ready to lay tile in bathroom

The wet saw

Tile down!





The fireplace mantel we found in the trash in Brockton


The bar...before I put different (nicer) stuff on the shelves






Espresso bar



putting in the attic















With new lighting but still no paint on walls


With new drum light


new light over sink




Walls painted finally!












Kitchen floors in progress






After we made the playroom in the third bedroom, we changed around the nursery a bit.  Mainly we took the desk out, which opened up the room a bit






My sister-in-law made the name signs!


Love these frames from my mom's college friend.  The are currently packed, but it just dawned on me that we can now fill them up...all 12 months!!

These toy bins are the best thing ever!!

Still in progress...I actually did eventually clean off the couch!


Looking at all these photos, I'm remembering how much we did that you actually don't even see!  We put up shelves everywhere.  We had to add a pole and shelf to the nursery closet.  The linen closet walls were falling down; the pantry didn't have any shelves.  We changed out the switch plates and outlets/outlet covers (in most of the house, but not all), and we replaced the old brass door knobs with brushed nickel ones.  So many things...

I wish I had been more systematic about taking photos.  I should have taken more photos of the place staged, too.  It looked good.  Maybe I can get Adriano to get me the photos.  The last piece is to take photos of the place empty again....and I never did take photos of the outside after the retaining wall and sidewalk were done last spring.  And the front and back yard landscaping.  Oh well.  

I'll be better with the next house!!!

1 comment:

Jonah and Aja said...

Amy this is so awesome. I knew you had remodeled it, but I had no idea how much work you had to do to get it to the gorgeous state it was in when you sold it! Nice work!
I wish I was there to help you pack up and move it all out. You are such a worker. Need a vacation yet?

Also, I love all the little bits of orange here and there... love it.