Saturday, April 27, 2013

Crackers and Other Random Stories

Sebastian finally said his first really distinct word.  I'm pretty sure he's said "hi" and "ma," and he moos like a cow and occasionally "woofs" as well.  Today, though, he said, "ca-ca" and sometimes "cra-ca."  And NO, he was not saying "caca" the word for poop!!!  He was talking about a cracker!!!  Both he and Adrian have been saying it all day long when I give them goldfish to eat.  I thought all along that Sebastian's first word would be food-related, and I was right!!!  Despite the lack of a lot of other words, I have noticed great improvement in both boys' babbling in the past few weeks since getting tubes.  They make a much larger range of sounds, and they seem more interested in trying to repeat sounds.  I think I've also been extremely hard on them in the sense that I haven't given them credit for words and sounds they have already been making for a while. I think we're on the right track.




This week we've pulled two ticks of the boys' heads.  First one on Adrian and then one on Sebastian.  They must be picking them up at daycare?? It's the only place they spent time outside in any grass.  But it's hard to believe because it's only a small patch of grass and mostly playground!  But the backyard here has been too soggy for them to run around (it's only now dry), and when we go out every day, we are in the street with them in the wagon and push car.  Luckily, both times we got the tick when it was still small and not inflated with blood.  But geesh!!  It's so gross.  I HATE the thought of ticks so much.  It makes my skin crawl!  All day I've felt like I have bugs crawling on me because of it.

This past week the boys turned 17 months!!!!!!!  I can't even believe it!  May and 18th months seemed so far away when they turned 1 year.  And here we are.

Sebastian has been having mini tantrums at daycare--throwing things and getting angry at the teachers.  I was worried, but they assured me it's completely normal and they were actually laughing hysterically about it when they told me.  They said the room has been crowded lately and the kids are all getting on each other's nerves.  She said that it was only one day, too, that he was throwing baby dolls around the room.  The next day she just told him not to do it, gave him a look, and walked away.  He stopped.  I do the same when he acts up at home.  It generally works if you ignore him.  I'm not really amused by his behavior, but I guess to some extent it's normal as they explore boundaries.

Today we had our first playdate at the house with other twins.  A woman who works at Meditech with Carlos had twin boys just 4 days before we did, also at the Brigham.  We've kept in touch via Facebook.  They came today to play in the playroom, and it went really well.  I was afraid the boys might be jealous with their space or their toys, but it was great!  They ran all over the basement, played nice with each other, and had a great time!!  And it was nice to find out that her twins are almost exactly like mine in their behavior with each other and our stories are so similar.  Our boys are even on the same schedule for the most part.  It was reassuring.  And...can you believe that neither of us took photos of the 4 boys??!?!!  What were we thinking!?  They were a really adorable bunch!

Finally, tonight we used our new grill (our old one was damaged beyond repair by the move) and Carlos tried out the new little patio with pavers that he made for the grill.  He is so proud of his handiwork!

In progress






And, just for fun, I found these pictures on Carlos's Facebook page of the house during the first of our many snow storms this winter.  It makes me feel good to look at them now that the weather is finally turning nice; the remind me of how much I love spring!




1 comment:

Jonah and Aja said...

That's great news about the sounds they are making after getting tubes. And tell Carlos his grill space is awesome! Can he come lay some pavers for me now?!