Saturday, November 19, 2011

Bed Rest without the Rest

I haven't written for a few days, and a lot has happened.  I wish it had remained quiet!  I can't get used to my new routine of "bed rest" without the "rest."

Thursday night, I had pretty uncomfortable contractions--the worst I'd experienced so far.  As usual, I buzzed the nurse and got sent down to the labor rooms.  They monitored me and the babies, and thankfully, everything looked ok.  Eventually, with an IV in place, the contractions died down.  But they did another white blood cell count (CBC) and it was back up to 17 again....they want it to be 15 or below.  Once again, they were worried about infection.  But I still felt fine!

The doctor on call decided to just keep me on the monitors and retest the CBC in a few hours.  Luckily, the second time, the count was still over 15, but back down again.  So they sent me back upstairs.

In the meantime, Carlos came to visit me Wednesday after work.  He was fine--looking and acting like himself.  The next morning, he called to tell me that he couldn't sleep because he had a dull ache on his lower right side.  We both thought of appendicitis, so he called his doctor and got an appointment for that same morning.  When he went to Tufts Medical Center to see his doctor, they did blood work, a urine sample, etc. and came to the conclusion that it didn't seem to be his appendix.  He had none of the other related symptoms of fever, loss of appetite, etc.  They scheduled him for a CT Scan on Friday morning at 9AM.

Poor Carlos knew the results of his CT scan almost immediately--at 9:30 he called to tell me it was, in fact, his appendix.  They decided to operate that very same day.  They just had to wait for an operating room.  He called work to explain what was going on, and he went off to his hospital room to await an OR.  He hadn't eaten since the night before (per the scan instructions), had to pay $7/day for TV in his room, and also had a roommate.  It made my hospital room seem like the 4 Seasons...

They finally took him off to surgery around 5:30pm on Friday.  By 10:30PM, I still hadn't heard from him, but wasn't too worried.  I knew that they'd keep him in a recovery room somewhere before they'd return him to his room where his phone was.  I figured no news was good news, and I went to bed to try to keep rested so that these babies will stay in my belly.  My mother-in-law called from Mexico around 10:30 asking for news.  She caught me half asleep and I tried to explain to her that I hadn't heard but that I was sure that he was in recovery and didn't have his phone.  She asked me to call the hospital because she wanted to make sure.  So I found the number and called, and sure enough, just as I called, the nurse was getting him settled into his room for the night.  I called my mother-in-law back and asked Carlos to call her asap so she'd be at ease.  I felt like a bad wife for not being more worried, but I knew I was the emergency contact, and since the hospital hadn't contacted me, I figured I should get rest and cook those babies in my belly!

Today, my brother and his wife went to visit Carlos and drove his car (parked in the hospital garage--neither one of us expected surgery for him!) home for him.  He can't drive because of the pain meds.  They also took these cute pictures:



That was his first solid meal in 2 days....Poor Carlos!

Now he's on his way home.  My dad picked him up and will stay with him tonight in case he needs anything or in case he needs to come here to the hospital for me and the babies.  Let's hope not--he needs his rest.

Let's hope all this activity and "adventure" ends now.  We both need a quiet few days for the benefit of the babies!!

No comments: