Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Playroom and Nursery

So, now that the boys are more mobile and moving around, they needed a room with some space.  We decided to give up our guest bedroom for now and make it a playroom.  Moving the guest room furniture to my Nana's opened up that room and also allowed us to free up some space in the nursery as well.

I'll start with the nursery.  The curtains need to be replaced because they were never meant for this room.  However, we had cute valances before that did nothing to keep the light out of the room in the early morning.  Even with room darkening shades, there is too much light in the morning in the middle of the summer.  Sebastian was waking up at 5AM...so we improvised with these curtains.  They don't do much to help, but at least they are neutral and help.  But they look terrible with the cheapo curtain rods we have in the room...we need a long-term solution.



The bookcase has always been in the nursery, but it was standing up to the left of the window before.  I was worried it could topple over on the boys, and I like the way it looks on its side anyway.






My sister-in-law made the signs with the boys' names on them.  Although it makes more sense to put them over the cribs, I didn't want anything hanging where it could fall on them.  When we have our washer and dryer going in the kitchen, it often shakes the whole house!!!  I was too nervous, and so we decided to hang them on this empty wall.
 
I had a cloth covering the diaper boxes for a little while, but the boys reach for the curtains and anything else that is near them when they are in the crib.  It was only a matter of time before Sebastian got his hands on the blanket and they should still have nothing in their cribs.  So I decided to live with the ugly diaper boxes for the sake of safety.


I love these frames.  They were a gift from my mom's college friend Linda.  I would never have spent the money on them with so many "necessary" things needed for two babies, but it's the kind of thing I would have wanted to buy.  There is a spot for a photo each month.  I am running a bit behind, as you can see...I can't even believe that there should be 9 months worth of photos up there by now....


And now the play room.  My friend Michelle had these toy storage things for her kids in her house.  I loved them because you can see all the toys but everything looks neat and put away.  Almost all the toys were from Michelle's kids.  We are so lucky!  The boys love crawling/dragging themselves over to the bins and pulling toys out.



I've since washed and scrubbed the couch and cleared off all the crap you see in this picture.  That couch used to be in my office at Harvard.  We were short on couches in the Harvard office so I bought my own at Ikea.  Needless to say, I wasn't going to leave it at Harvard since I spent my own money on it.  I'm incredibly cheap.


This morning I bought some blue storage boxes (right side under the shoe box, which is trash) at Ikea this morning.  FYI, YES, I know about the Bumbo recall.  I haven't done it yet. I never use them anywhere but on the floor so they seem perfectly safe, and they have almost outgrown them anyway, but I figure I'll get the recall stuff so that I can sell them at some point.

I think I'm going to order another set of the rubber mats as well.  You can join sets together to make a bigger mat.  But we'll see.  I'm out of money for now.

That's it!

No comments: