Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter

Yesterday was an adventure....

We went to my mom's for Easter.  I was carefully planning the trip down around feeding and nap times so there would be as little disruption as possible.  But for some reason, they boys just started the day off on the wrong foot.  They didn't nap all that well in the morning before we left.  They didn't nap that well in the car ride to Bridgewater--even though they ALWAYS sleep in the car.  Then, we fed them at my mom's as soon as we arrived.  They should have been due for another nap about an hour after eating....but they just didn't sleep and no one wanted to put them down.  So they didn't nap.

Then, they slept on the way home, but again, it was not a great sleep.  And they fought sleep during the witching hour from 5-7pm.  Anyway, you get the picture.  They were just off all day, and the problem kept compounding.

Well, at bedtime, Adrian SCREAMED because he was so overtired.  I finally had to break my rules and hold him until he fell asleep.  This is after all the sleep training I've done...The best thing I've done since bringing them home is teach them to fall asleep on their own.  It was so miserable to be rocking them to sleep and running back and forth between them before they learned to self soothe.  So I'm so upset when I have to hold one to get him to sleep.  I guess that makes me sound like a harsh, horrible mom.  We have PLENTY of cuddle time, and I hold them quite a bit throughout the day.  But I do not want to go back to the days of rocking them to sleep.  It would be different if I had one baby....everything is different with one baby.  The only thing that keeps me sane when I'm by myself with them is our schedule and getting them to nap and sleep well.

Anyway, after holding Adrian until he fell asleep, he was ok.  We fed him at 11pm and weren't sure if we'd have the same issue getting him back to sleep again.  But he was fine.  And he slept through until 6:30 this AM, his normal wake up time.

I was REALLY nervous about the morning nap...I wasn't sure if I'd have to hold him to get him to sleep.  He's still down now, but he fell asleep on his own.  He's been waking periodically throughout the nap and making noise, though, so I'm not sure about the quality of the nap.  So hopefully he'll quiet himself and sleep another hour.  I just don't want this to become a vicious cycle of overtiredness!

Sebastian was relatively unaffected by all the changes and lack of sleep because he is just easy like that.    Adrian is another story....he's stubborn and resistant to change!

I do get out with the boys, and the schedule isn't SO rigid that we can't do anything.  But I've learned that visits are best done after 3pm when they are not napping anymore.  And if they ARE going to miss a nap, I think the morning nap is the one to cut short.  That way they still have the afternoon nap to kind of make up for lost sleep before it's nighttime.

And where was Carlos through all of this?  Asleep!!!!!  Don't know how he does it!!!!

In their Easter outfits.  I didn't get them all fancied up.





Sebastian

Adrian


The 3 minutes that they did sleep at my mom's.

Adrian

Sebastian



My neighbor downstairs came up with some cute onesies for the boys....I hate that EVERY picture I take is blurry!

Sebastian


Adrian's posing again... 

Sebastian

Adrian


1 comment:

Jonah and Aja said...

Maybe they were just too excited to sleep because it was your birthday!!

Man, they are cute boys! And no, I don't think you are a mean mom for not wanting to rock Adrian to sleep. And yes, I totally could have guessed that Carlos slept through all of it. Men have that amazing talent.

Thanks for the post! We love to get a glimpse of it all!
Aja