Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 2 of Daycare trial

If you're just at the blog for the pictures, there's a ton at the end of the post.  Scroll down now to avoid my play-by-play of daycare.

Well, I dropped the boys off at the daycare again at 9am.  It's a beautiful day, so we walked there.  It actually went pretty well.  Sebastian went off happily with the teacher, and Adrian fussed a bit as they took him, but I was strong and left without making a big deal out of it.  I don't want them to pick up on my anxiety.  But actually, I wasn't anxious.  I like the teachers, and I am eager to just get them there and get this whole process of adjustment started.  The sooner we begin, the sooner they will adapt and we can get into a new routine again.  It will be good for all of us when we settle down into one again.

I'm watching them on the daycare camera right now.  The two of them are doing face-to-face tummy time with some sort of cool toy between them.  Michelle, one of the teachers, is lying right there with them as they play.  I can see her and Sebastian "talking" to each other.  She actually just moved Sebastian to an exersaucer and is sitting in front of it with Adrian in her lap now.  They get moved around quite a bit, which I like.  It's such a tough age...I struggle with it!!!  They aren't self sufficient (can't sit on their own), can't really do much, and can't entertain themselves.  I have a hard time entertaining them all day!  I'm sort of glad they will be playing a lot at daycare because they have space and the toys that I don't...and hopefully more patience than I do!  ;)  So, so far so good.  Hopefully they will nap at least a little!!?  I pick them up at 1:30 unless they have a meltdown and they call for me to get them sooner.

The owner asked me how the unswaddling was going.  I had to be honest and tell her I just gave up a few nights ago.  My boys were monsters!!  I didn't even recognize them!  They were so overtired and sleeping so little, that I just couldn't deal with it.  They actually had learned to fall asleep at night and during the day with both arms out in a sleep sack.  But they couldn't seem to stay asleep.  They had great difficulty going back to sleep once they woke up.  So I finally decided to wait to try again until they are actually ready and let me know.  Or at least until they are settled into daycare.  If they don't nap at daycare I at least want them to be able to sleep well at home.  And anyway, I know they CAN sleep unswaddled and it's going to be a completely different process for them to learn to sleep at daycare anyway.  So I'll let Sonia and her staff deal with it for now.  I felt so much better once I gave up and stopped forcing the issue.

I did decide to drop the last nighttime feed, though.  The boys go to bed at 7:30/8:00 and then wake up for 4oz at 11pm.  I decided that they don't need those 4 oz and started decreasing the feed by an oz a night once Carlos left for Argentina on Monday.  Last night I decided that doing a dream feed to give them 1oz would be more of a disruption to them than it was worth and just let them sleep.  Sebastian slept through until 6am (they usually wake at 6:30) and Adrian woke at 3:30am...he was actually pretty quiet and talking to himself for an hour and a half!!!  But then he started to get fussy and I was pretty sure he wasn't going to go back to sleep on his own at around 5am.  I put him in my bed with me for a while and rubbed his belly but he still didn't sleep.  So finally I stuck him in the swing and he slept from 6-6:30.  Weird.  Hopefully they will sleep through the night tonight--they will be exhausted from daycare so as long as they are not too overtired to fall asleep, I think they'll be ok.  Fingers crossed.

I'm also thinking I'll start solids this weekend once Carlos is back.  I think they are ready, and while I hate to make so many change at once, I don't want to delay too long either.  I'm at least going to give rice cereal a try.  Sebastian in particular seems ready to go...why am I not surprised??

And yeah, Carlos has been gone this whole week to Buenos Aires for work.  Luckily my dad came every night from around 3-7 to help me with the witching hour and bath/bedtime.  It was so nice to have his company and his help.  I COULD do it alone, but it's easier to have help when they are fussy at that time of day and my patience is wearing thin.

Finally, some pictures...


Sebastian admiring his beauty in the mirror






I couldn't choose between these pictures of Adrian because I love his facial expressions in ALL of them!!!
















Adrian with his bunny from Auntie Carol and Christian.  He loves it!




Sebastian loves his bunny too!



Adrian has learned to roll over to avoid belly time


LOOK AT MY CURL!



He'd put all of Sophie in his mouth if he could.  He'd swallow her whole.




No comments: