Sunday, March 23, 2014

Proud Mama

So damn proud of my boys.  I'll get to why in a minute.

This was a busy, fun-filled weekend.  We enjoyed some almost 60 degree weather on Saturday (finally)--before a snowstorm (blizzard, even?!) this coming Tuesday night into Wednesday.  This is the winter that will not quit.  Anyway, for the first time in a while, the boys came with me to do the grocery shopping.  We went Saturday morning which we don't normally do.  It was finally warm enough that the boys could ride the "horsey."  I hate letting them touch that nasty thing, but they love it so much...




Adrian got a good whiff of puppy!  He LOVES that thing so much!


He was laughing while watching Sebastian on the horsey in this picture.

After Market Basket, we went home to take a walk and "play chalk."  The boys ran themselves ragged.  Then we went to the Bridgewater Public Library because they were having a book sale.  I got a few nice books for the boys, including another Richard Scarry book for their collection.  Saturday afternoon while they napped, I put out the Easter decorations.  I don't have many, but that's fine.  I put the little easter egg houses from Auntie Carol and Kitchen on the mantel.  Next year I may have an even better spot for the little village on my sideboard, but for now, I have to keep them out of the boys' reach if I want to preserve them!  There is a plug on the mantel, so I can light them up for the boys.


When the boys woke up, they played outside some more.  I LOVE having a yard, and they love it, too.  Then Carlos spent some time taking the front rail off the cribs to convert them into toddler beds.  He also installed a smaller rail so they won't fall off the bed.  Adrian hardly moves when he sleeps (like me), but Sebastian is all over the place (like Carlos).  In the morning, sometimes his feet are where his head was when he went to bed, and I've even found him with his bum against the rail and feet in the air (up along the side of the crib).

It was hard to get pictures because of bad lighting, but here is how the room is looking after Carlos painted every surface. (Except the window panes--we'll wait until Summer for that so we can leave the windows open after he paints.  We don't want the windows painted shut.)

Here's how it looked before we took the rails off the cribs.  Those are our new curtain rods from Ikea.  The curtains were Kitchen's.  The blue on the walls is Pale Sky by Behr.


 You can SORT of see the blue color here...also, you'll notice we took the bookshelves and changing table out of the room.  We didn't want anything that the boys could climb on.  And I really didn't want to drill holes in the wall to attach the furniture to the walls.  So for now, the room is completely empty except for the cribs.  To be honest, once we switch them to twin beds (maybe in the late summer or fall--it depends on when we find a good price on mattresses and bed frames and fix up the vintage headboards we found), there won't be room for much else in the room anyway.  MAYBE the bookcase will go back in their room, but it all depends on where the twin beds end up going.  It's an awkward set up because of the windows, baseboard heating, and closet location.  I might try to do something with shelving instead--I've seen some great ideas on Pinterest.


 Here's Adi's bed.  The boys got pillows for the first time when the rails came off the bed.

And here is Sebastian's bed; there's hardly room for him in there with all his animals.

 After the beds were all set up, I told the boys that once they were in their beds they had to stay there until I got them in the morning.  I also asked them to take good care of their animals so they wouldn't fall out of the bed.  They seemed to take to the task of keeping the animals from "falling down."  Wouldn't you know those boys went right down to sleep and never once all night long tried to get out of bed?  And when they woke this morning, they were still in their beds until I went to get them.  I can only hope it stays this way.  Today, they also went right down at nap time, in the same room.  Wow.  And another success at bedtime.  Granted, they've been exhausted each time we put them down because we've had a busy weekend, but they seemed happy to have big boy beds.

Today the Paone Family came over for brunch.  The boys had a great time playing with Patrick, who is so cute I could eat him alive.







After nap time, we took another walk to tire them out.  Then Grumpy came over and we all piled in the van to go to Caserta's in Federal Hill for pizza.  The boys were really well behaved at the restaurant.  It was a nice reward for the boys for being so good about sleeping in their big boy beds!  I'm so happy with them!

After they went to sleep, I put up some valances in the kitchen.  They are orange with little tiny white polka dots.  I wanted to use these valances somewhere in the house because they have sentimental value--they were in the boys' Watertown nursery, and my mom made them.  I loved that room that we made for them.  I'm not sure these will remain in the kitchen forever, but for now, they are staying!  And yes, I know, they need a good ironing!




Here they are in the nursery, for comparison's sake!


Here's to many many more nights of the boys loving their big boy beds....fingers crossed they continue to impress me and make me proud!

No comments: