Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bath time for Sebastian and an update on Adrian

We just gave Sebastian his second bath at home.  This one went much better than the first.  He hates it, though.  But now he smells sweet and is sleeping soundly.  Finally!



Love the robe...I put him in it for the pictures, and to keep him warm while I brushed his hair.  Funny enough, he loved having his hair brushed!  Carlos kept saying, "Don't brush out his curl!"


He's clean and bathed.  Too bad I'm not.  











Snug like a bug in a rug after his bath.



On another note, my poor Adrian will be at the NICU for another 2 weeks...They did the swallow study this afternoon, and it confirmed what we already know.  He's aspirating when he eats, but they don't want to push him because there can be negative consequences when babies get particles of formula in their lungs.  So they decided to gavage him (tube feed) exclusively for the next two weeks until he is full term and then do the test again.  At that point, they will try him with normal formula again.  If he doesn't aspirate, he can come home.  If he aspirates normal formula, they will give him a thickened formula or nectar-like substance.  If he doesn't aspirate that, he can go home eating that for a while.  If he aspirates both, then he stays in the NICU longer and they repeat the test in another few weeks.  I am hopeful that the two weeks until my due date will be enough for him to make improvements and mature.  In the end, I'm grateful this has been the boys' only issue so far.  It's typical of preemies and resolves itself with time--there are plenty of other issues that could have arisen that wouldn't be so easily resolved.  So I have to keep the big picture in mind.

I know he's in good hands with Marcy and Judy and the other NICU nurses, so it's just rough on us to go to the hospital every day.  Adrian is getting so much attention from his favorite nurses that I'm not sure if he's aspirating on purpose so that he can stay with them!?!?

I don't like the idea of being in limbo for another few weeks because I will adjust to having Sebastian home only to have to adjust all over again with another baby.  But looking on the bright side, it may also be easier to ease into having 2 babies at home this way--one at a time!

No comments: