Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oh, Adrian...

I'm starting to wonder if my boy Adrian will come home before he goes off to kindergarten.  I'd hate to use the BWH NICU as his home address.

The plan was for him to come home yesterday (Monday), but he ended up having a horrible weekend.  Marcy had him Friday, and he was fine.  I also went in to see him Friday afternoon, and he did great feeding from the bottle for me.  Carlos went Saturday to see him and it was a nurse we'd never seen before.  Apparently, Adrian didn't like her or was just having a bad day because not having Marcy there seems to have put him in a tizzy.  He was desating on the monitors and having little chokes (but not turning blue anymore).  Sunday, Judy was back, but he was still off from his bad day on Saturday.  Then he had a bad night for the night nurse Fran who he also knows very well.

In any event, because of his terrible weekend, they were not going to send him home yesterday.  But then he pulled it together for Marcy and fed beautifully all day yesterday for her.  I went in at night and he breast fed AND bottle fed beautifully for me.  We've come to the conclusion that he really does do better for people that he knows.  We think he'll be fine at home once he has a routine and doesn't have to adapt to feeding for anyone other than Marcy, Judy, and Fran who seem to know him best.  So the plan now is to bring him home Wednesday afternoon after Carlos gets out of work.  That way they can continue to watch him today and most of tomorrow to make sure he's not really off his game again.  But at this point, I don't think there's much to gain by leaving him at the NICU.  He's gotten over the severe chokes and just needs some special care when feeding.  He has made much improvement overall since they first did the swallow study a few weeks ago and found him aspirating.  He's not doing that anymore, so we need him home with his brother!!!

I'm not sure I believe he'll be home tomorrow yet since we've had so many false alarms (for lack of a better term), but I'm optimistic.  I mean, he has to come home some day, right?!

Look at those cheeks!!! He has beautiful skin!

Oh my!  What a look!




Making sure the car seat is adjusted for his car seat test. 

Adrian is so much calmer than Sebastian.  Adrian just kind of rolls with things, and he can snuggle better than I imagined a baby ever could.  Sebastian, on the other hand, always wants to be held, but isn't really a snuggler.  He seems to prefer to be able to look around and look at you, but doesn't want to put his head up against your body where it would block his view of everything going on around him.  He's nosy just like his dad...BUT, yesterday, I did get a good snuggle out of Sebastian.  This is a rare moment, and I definitely enjoyed it!


1 comment:

Jonah and Aja said...

you are so great! i love all you have to say and love those little guys. we are sending prayers that adrian makes it home in 2012! :)