Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Corrected age/Due date

Yesterday was my due date: 1/16/12.  It seems to funny to me now to think that I was supposed to have these boys NOW, and not in November.  I don't even want to imagine how ginormous (and uncomfortable!) I would have been if I'd lasted this long.  Yikes.

Now that my due date has passed, I have to deal with actual age vs. corrected age.  The boys were born 11/25/11, which would make them about 2 months old now in terms of actual days they've been out of the womb.  However, they were preemies playing catch-up for those 2 months, and they are just now acting like a newborn baby would (at least in theory).  So if I take them out in public and someone asks how old they are, it's much easier to say they are a few days old than to say 2 months.  Because they don't look or act like 2-month-olds yet.  Unless I want to explain the whole bed rest/NICU story to a stranger, it's easier to use the corrected age.  Supposedly preemies catch up to full-term babies in terms of development around a year old, so by their first birthday, I can probably just say they are a year old and not say 10 months.  Such a weird concept to get used to!  I need to read up a bit more about it.

No comments: