Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

Last night was a quiet new year's eve at home.  And it was great.

Carlos had to work, so I had the boys in the morning.  One of Adrian's favorite new activities is getting swaddled by me.  He asks for me to do "burrito" to him.  





Later, the boys spent about an hour playing with their kitchen from "Kitchen."  They take their cooking very seriously.  They arrange the food, stir pots, put things in the "hoven" and fight over the utensils.  Santa added to their pretend food collection--he brought a set of Old El Paso, Mexican-themed food, including little boxes of taco shells, cans of refried beans, and a burrito and some tacos...they love all their food accessories.






Then after nap time, my mom watched Adrian so that Carlos and I could take Sebastian to a surgeon at Children's Hospital in Weymouth.  At their two-year check-up, the pediatrician thought that it was possible that Sebastian had a hernia and he referred us to a surgeon for further exploration.  Well, anyway, thank God the surgeon didn't see or feel anything unusual.  So for now, we just have to keep an eye on it and make sure we don't notice any bumps or something out of the ordinary.    That was good news.  Hernia surgery is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but they still have to put the person under, so it's certainly a good thing that for now the doctor felt we can just keep an eye on it.

Then we came home, played some more, gave the boys dinner: chicken and broccoli pasta (they love it).




And after they were in bed, Carlos and I had spicy chipotle pulled pork tacos.  It doesn't look like much here in the crockpot, but it's delicious with sour cream and cheddar cheese!  The first time I had this recipe was actually with my college roommate Aja.  We went to visit her when she was staying with relatives in Cambridge and they served this for supper.  That was 2004, I believe!!!  I asked for the recipe and it came from a Martha Stewart Every Day Food magazine.  Thanks, Aja!  I still remember that day, I still make this meal, and I still think of you when I eat it!



We had a bottle of wine between the two of us, and then we broke into the white chocolate Godiva liqueur that I got at Auntie Carol's Yankee trade.  It was sooooo good.  The wine relaxed us and made Carlos sleepy so by 9 we were in bed.  But I was fine with that.  It was a nice, quiet night at home in our new house with the boys sleeping soundly (and they woke up at 6:30 this morning--another nice treat!) right down the hall.  We were warm, full, happy, safe, and together.  To me, that's a great new year's eve!

It will be hard to top 2011, which was the year of wonders, miracles, and twins for us.  2012 was full of changes: new job, new car, selling condo, moving, sickness...I was glad when it was over.  2013 brought a new home, relief from our terrible condo living situation, and Natalie-- our nanny and savior.  Happy 2014--I hope this year is another good one!




No comments: