Saturday, January 11, 2014

Whole Life Challenge

I'm watching the Pats play the Colts, and I can't even have any nachos?!?!  WTF!?  Today was Day #1 of the Whole Life Challenge.  As of about 4 days ago, I had never even heard of this before.  Milton was encouraging a team, and we get reimbursed for $20 of the $50 cost.  I figured why the hell not?  My clothes don't fit, I feel gross, and this is the fattest and most out of shape I've ever been in my life.  My health and fitness has gone way down hill since we moved from Watertown.  I used to walk to and from the bus every single day, walk the dog at least once a day, and also noodle around Harvard Square on a daily basis.  I walked a TON.  Now I walk from my car to my office to the dining hall to my office to my car.  It's horrible.  And without Lexi around :-( there's no one to force me to get out and walk.

Anyway, I don't want to go into what the Whole Life Challenge is, but basically, it seemed manageable to me.  The challenges run a few times a year, and everyone who signs up starts together.  1/11/14 was day #1 of this challenge.  The diet is pretty restrictive for me--it's essentially Paleo--so I can't eat bread, cheese, milk/cream, or honey to name a few of the foods what will be challenging for me to give up.  But I can eat pretty much any kind of meat, chicken, pork (including bacon!!), vegetable (no potatoes), or fruit.  Then, there are other challenges presented, like trying to drink a lot of water, sleeping more, and fitting stretching and *some* form of exercise into your day.  I convinced my office mates to join, and so that will help.  We are all into it, at least for now!

I was so good today.  I didn't break the diet at all.  Of course, it's just the first day, but I figure if I couldn't do it even the first day, I would never do it at all.  And I convinced Carlos to do it with me.  We had eggs and black beans for breakfast.  I had a cherry tomato "salad" and an apple and peanut butter for lunch (because I had to work today at Milton and missed lunch--that was the best I could do when I got home at 1pm), and chicken fajitas with brown rice for dinner.  We went to BJ's and bought a ton of nuts for snacks, plenty of fruit and vegetables, and some chicken and meat.  This won't be a cheap diet since I try to avoid buying meat because it's expensive (and gross these days...), but I figure our health is worth it.

We'll see how this works...

1 comment:

Jonah and Aja said...

That's great Amy! Good luck.

Check out my sister Sonna's blog too..
http://ssrsrobisonfamilyblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/viva-las-vegan.html
She does youngandraw and loves it.

I think a trip to Hawaii would be good too...

:)
Aja