Friday, January 17, 2014

WLC One Week Update

As of tomorrow, I will have been following this Whole Life Challenge diet/lifestyle change for one week.  I actually am enjoying it!  First off, I haven't been hungry at all.  I can eat as much as I want of the foods that are allowed, and I have been diligent about preparing snacks for myself and for Carlos so that we won't be tempted to cheat.  Second, having my colleagues (and Carlos) involved has made things infinitely easier.  We help each other out when we're at the dining hall--we determine together what we can and cannot eat, give each other recipes, and take walks together after we eat.  It's been fun, actually, and a great way to spend more out-of-the office time with the people I work with.  

Finally, my jeans feel a tiny tiny tiny bit looser this morning...motivation to keep going!

Perhaps the biggest thing that has come out of this experience so far,though, is the realization of the crap that I was putting into my body.  And, unfortunately, the crap that I am letting the boys eat.  I started off serious about not giving the boys a lot of processed foods, etc., but then life and work and everything else took over, and I was happy to give them pretty much whatever they would eat.  They still eat a lot of healthy foods, don't get me wrong, but they aren't eating cleanly like I am this week.  So that is the next big challenge: get Carlos and me under control and slowly work the boys into eating better as well--not as many crackers and starches and cheese.  Luckily, Sebastian adores fruit and will eat pretty much any fruit you put in front of him.  But Adrian will not eat almost any fruit at all.  Lately, he won't even eat bananas, which used to be his favorite.  But I guess we have to just keep setting the example by eating well ourselves as parents and limiting the options available to the boys.  

So that's it!  Still feeling great about having taken on this challenge, and I'm grateful for what it's taught me about my eating habits even in just this short amount of time.  My health--so that I can do my best to maximize my time with my boys--is so much more important than any chocolate dessert or craft beer!

No comments: