Wednesday, January 29, 2014

My Mini-Vacation

I just had 5 days off from school, and it was great.  For the first time since Natalie started in October, I had 2 days to myself without having to take care of the boys that I could use to get stuff done.

Friday was an unexpected day off, as I attended a memorial service for a friend and colleague at Harvard, Marlene.  She was only 52 and died after a long, hard battle with cancer.  A few years back when I went to visit her once, she gave me some books for the boys.  She also gave them a stuffed seal.  The boys have always liked that seal, but in the past few days they've taken even more of a liking to it,which is weird....but comforting.

Saturday the boys had music class, and then I left them with Carlos to head into the city to see Charlie and visit Kelly, who just had a handsome baby boy.  So nice to see them all!

Sunday we had a play date with Max and Michael, the boys' NICU friends.  They are like 2 or 3 days older than the boys.  It was so nice to talk with Susan, their mom, and compare.  We completely understand each other because our boys are similar in many ways.  And, as always, it's reassuring to hear that someone else experiences the same things you are.  The boys weren't all that excited to be around each other for most of the time.  They basically just fought over toys and did their own thing, none of which involved running, which is what we were hoping they would do!  All four of those boys need to burn off a lot of energy!  But at the end, just as they were leaving, they all started running all over the upstairs.  They didn't touch anything or get into trouble.  They just had fun exploring.  At one point, I caught Adrian high-fiving Max in the guest bedroom, and then they were thick as thieves.  Sebastian kept yelling, "Come on, Max!"  And then they'd all run off together.  Now, for the past few days they keep asking for Max and Mikey.  Too funny!  All the photos we tried to take were blurry--it's hard because someone is ALWAYS in motion!



Monday, Natalie came so I went to Saver's and spent 2 hours in there shopping.  I was in heaven because I could take my time.  I left with a CARTLOAD of awesome clothes for the boys, including a like-new Kenneth Cole jacket for this spring/fall and a Carhartt jacket that is so adorable--it looks just like the adult ones.  I also found a great Christmas record (I love old-school Christmas albums and played them all Christmas season for the boys on the record player), and a ton of books for the boys.  Some of them I think I might put away for later because I found so many great ones.  It was a very productive trip.

Tuesday I ran errands--Target and grocery store.  Nothing exciting, but it had to get done.  Then I vacuumed the upstairs very thoroughly and started organizing linens under the beds in storage boxes.  I've been meaning to do something with the pile of rubbermaid storage bins that line the hall to the basement bathroom for a while now.  I figured I'd store sheets under the bed that they are for and then use one of the hall closets to store comforters.  (Right now, one closet is dedicated to housing all the picture frames that we haven't hung up yet because we need to paint pretty much every surface in the house.  But I can't use the space like that any longer.  I'm going to have to either hang them on ugly walls or store them elsewhere!)  So, I'm not done yet with all this organization, but I started and made a dent in it, so that felt good.  I also tackled the broom closet, and that's now neat and organized.

It's kind of sad when you're excited about having two days to clean and organize, but I don't get to do much of it these days!  I'm looking forward to my March break, although at that point, I'll be with the boys full-time so there won't be much of anything "productive" going on.  But, truly, spending time with them gets more and more fun every day and is more "productive" than cleaning the house!

No comments: