Thursday, February 27, 2014

Collections

Lately, I've started to think about the things that I enjoy collecting.  I've also been trying to NOT collect stuff and get rid of clutter and junk.  But these are things that I've enjoyed collecting over the years or am interested in collecting now.

Books
I'll always be a book collector.  There is no way around that.  I got rid of a ton of books when we moved, but kept my absolute favorite fiction and non-fiction books and all my cookbooks.  I love looking for old vintage cookbooks.  I have a cookbook from each grandmother that I love; they have great old school recipes, and I love knowing that Nana and Grandma used them when they were my age.
    1. Richard Scarry books for the boys
    2. Children's Choice Scholastic Book Club series (I had these as a kid, and have very fond memories of them.  They aren't too difficult to find in thrift stores.)
    3. Little Golden Books (vintage only)
    4. Christmas Books (for reading advent calendars and holiday fun)
    5. Julia Child cookbooks  (Because I simply love Julia.  If I can find old ones, even better.  My dream is to discover a signed copy at a yard sale or a thrift store.  Yeah right.)

Fiestaware
I love this stuff.  I wish it weren't so popular so I could snag it in thrift stores and at yard sales.  But it's hard to find and when I do, it's priced high.  I love this stuff, though.


Alebrijes
These are handpainted, colorful Mexican figures.  They originated in Oaxaca, southern Mexico.  They used to be on display in the condo, but I have yet to figure out where I want to put them in the new house.  I don't own this one, but here is a sample of an alebrije:
 Image Source

Vintage postcards
They are mostly of places meaningful to me; I have two of Mexico that I love and many of the rest came from Nina Litzen, our old neighbor.  I cherish her postcards because they date back as far as the 1920s and are addressed to her as a young woman.  Fun to read and look at.  She collected them her whole life.

When I have more time and money, I'd love to collect more carnival glass (I have some orange from Nana and mom), depression glass, milk glass, and cafe au lait bowls.  




No comments: