Friday, August 23, 2013

My Last Day of Summer Alone with the Boys

Today was my last day alone with the boys until next summer.  I found it so bittersweet.  I honestly just don't know where the summer went.  It absolutely flew by.  I worked all last year to get to the summer--it was the reason for switching jobs and the thing that got me up in the morning.  And it's sort of depressing to think about having to get through another whole academic year to be home with the boys again.  It's also making me realize how much I'd love to be home with them all the time, but at the same time, I do miss my colleagues and adult life.  Anyway, it is what it is.  I have to work, and I'm still excited about the changes afoot with Natalie starting etc.

So, I wanted to make today special and worthwhile and not fritter away the hours.  When the boys woke up, I still didn't know how I wanted to spend the day.  But my mom ended up texting and suggesting we go visit Nana.  So that's what we did!  We left the house around 8am.  There was no traffic--it was eerily quiet on the highway.  We spent some time at Nana's house playing inside, taking a short walk down her street, playing in the yard, and exploring her deck.  


Then we went to lunch.  We went to McDonald's--Nana's choice.  The boys basically only ate French fries...so healthy!  At least I got some milk in them and some homemade energy bites with peanut butter for protein.  Still, they had a great time with Nana and Mugie, and about half way through, Tía Mimi surprised us by dropping by to say hello.  I was so glad to see her, too!!





After we ate lunch, we got on the road because the boys were cranky and tired.  They barely slept in the car on the way home, so I was in for a long afternoon.  But they were good despite the lack of a nap.

First, we played with the new water table.  They stripped down to their diapers and went at it!  I try to weed out pictures, but I always post too many.  This is my photo album and I like them all!!  :-)















After the water table, the boys tried out my "new" swing.  They loved it, especially Adrian.







 After playing at home, we got back in the car and went to the playground.  This time, we were there for about an hour, and the boys had a lot of fun.  They were more adventurous about trying things out and climbing all over it than in the past.  And once again, we had it all to ourselves.  Lovely.






Sebastian is still afraid on the swings.  He's start out laughing and then quickly start to cry.



Adrian LOVES the swing.  Love the looks of joy on his face.











What a nice way to end our summer together.  I will go to bed happy tonight.  I hope they did, too.  I can't ask for much more.

No comments: