Monday, August 12, 2013

We Have a Nanny!

Surprise!!  I'm still kind of in shock that this all worked out...I've always been pretty overwhelmed by the thought of getting a nanny, but I feel good about this.  Here's how it happened.

Way back in the spring I was talking to Natalie, the boys' toddler room teacher at pick up--like I always do.  I've liked her from day one--she has just always seemed to get the boys and understand who they are as people.  She was helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable when I talked to her about them.  One day she just happened to mention  that she used to nanny...it was the first time it dawned on me that perhaps she could nanny for us.  We both kind of looked at each other and the light went on in both of our heads.  She gave me her phone number so we could talk about it.

I didn't call her or text her about it for like 3 months.  I thought about it weekly, if not more.  I just couldn't get my head around how I'd be able to afford her.  But finally right before we left for Mexico, I sent her a message and asked if she's be interested in at least getting together to talk about it.  She said yes.

So we had her over for Mexican food one night after she got out of work and talked to her about all of our needs and concerns.  It seemed like the perfect fit to us after talking with her.  If I had any doubts about having a nanny before that night, she completely erased them.  We went off to Mexico and I thought about it some more: the logistics of payroll, taxes, schedules, etc.  When we got home, we made her an offer.

She thought about it for a few days and accepted.  I was thrilled!!!  Thanks--as always--to Michelle, I knew what resources to use to figure this all out.  I used a payroll calculator at breedlove.com to calculate my costs vs. her net pay.  I will use their services to pay her.  I hired out someone to do a background check (results still pending, but I'm not worried!).  I called around to investigate worker's comp insurance, which is required in the state of Massachusetts. We met last week for her to fill out paperwork (W-4s, I-9) and sign contracts and background check authorization forms.

Now we are just waiting on the results of the background check and for October 1, which is her start date.  Everyone at the daycare already knows she is leaving to take care of the boys.  The director of the center was extremely disappointed to be losing Natalie, and I'm sorry to be stealing her away.  I LOVE their daycare and am actually very sad to be losing the community.  But I'm thrilled to have the boys be able to stay with Natalie (they would have transitioned out of her room any day now...) and have her as a resource for at least the next year (and hopefully longer--until they start school!).  The real reason for a nanny was 1) because we found someone we love and 2) I just can't take all the sickness that came with twins in daycare.  I'm hoping this will help relieve Adrian's chronic ear infections (even after tubes) and that the boys will be more rested and happier as a result of being at home.  I've noticed a big difference in their nighttime sleep habits this summer when they are home to nap during the day.  The importance of having well-rested twins can not be overstated as far as I'm concerned!

So there it is.  Yet another major change in our lives.  Financially it will be tough, but I think the sacrifices are worth it.  I am looking forward to working with Natalie--she's a great addition to the family!

No comments: