Tuesday, August 20, 2013

End of Summer Project

I built the boys a water table today (Ok, Carlos helped with the finishing touches).  I found the inspiration on pinterest.  It was so simple.  I didn't build one before now because the boys have access to a water table, sandbox, and other sensory items at daycare.  But, now that they won't be going there anymore after October 1, I figured we could use a water table that can also be used to contain other sensory items (sand, beans, rice, whatever).

This was a spur of the moment thing...it's not the prettiest or the most well-thought out table, but for now, it serves the purpose!  The easiest water table I saw online was just an IKEA kids table with storage bins screwed to the top.  So off we went to IKEA to find our supplies.  I probably could have had a more aesthetically pleasing table if I'd bought larger, clear storage containers at Target, but I was too lazy to make another stop with the boys.  Ikea had clear containers, but they weren't the right size and they had run out of lids for the ones that were most appropriate.

So here's how it turned out (before the containers were screwed in).  The boys LOVED it.  Immediately they were soaking wet.  I had to move it from the porch to the grass outside!  :-)

















After the boys were in bed, we screwed the containers to the table.  Stupidly, I forgot to take a picture of the finished product.  Oh well.  I'll post one later.  The containers have lids, so that's helpful.  I wish IKEA had had containers that were slightly larger, but as I said before, I was impatient and just wanted it done today!

No comments: