Sunday, August 25, 2013

My Last Weekend of Summer

We made this a jam-packed weekend--I wanted to feel like we made the most of the time.

Yesterday we rented a U-Haul and drove into East Cambridge to buy a couch from a friend of mine from Milton.  For $150, we got this sleeper beauty



It's in great shape, and it folds out to a full-sized bed and has storage underneath to store stuff.  It's not the best looking couch in the world, and these pictures aren't the best either, but I was happy to replace the small, uncomfortable blue Ikea couch that was down there (the one that used to be in my office at Harvard).

After we returned the U-Haul, the boys had haircuts at 10:30 in Bridgewater.  We just made it!  The boys were stinkers about having their hair cut.  You would have thought they were being tortured!  Thank God Maria, who I've known since I was in 7th grade, is a great sport and good with kids.

After naps, we went to Freetown State Forest to check out their wading pool splash pad and bike around the forest.  The weather was gorgeous.  Unfortunately, we pretty much struck out there as the wading pool was not really what I was hoping for (it's really nice--I just like the splash pads for them right now since they can't get their ears wet) and the trails were too rocky for our cross bikes (road bikes with slightly knobbier tires).  We should have brought the mountain bikes...but then it's hard to pull the trailer.  Anyway, we took a short ride and the day was nice, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.  On the way home, we stopped at a farm stand and bought some mums to plant in the yard.  After the boys were in bed, we put them at the end of the driveway.  When they bloom they will be orange, yellow, red, and magenta.  Pretty!  I love mums.



I also ripped out the peonies that were at the entrance to the path to the doors.  They were just in the way and not that pretty anyway.  I thought about transplanting them, but I have no where to put them and I don't like them enough anyway.

Here's what they looked like before:


And after....will look better once it's seeded and grass grows in!


We also tried to rip up the AstroTurf on the steps, but there is a thick layer of glue on the concrete that would either have to be chipped off or perhaps covered up with another layer of concrete?  I have to ask the Paones what they would do...So for now, we're stuck with it, because I think what's underneath is actually worse until we have the time and money to fix it.

After the yard work, Carlos and I watched the movie It's Complicated.  I love Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, and Steve Martin, so I knew I'd love the movie.  And I did!  I haven't watched a movie in ages, so that was nice.

Today, Sunday, we went to breakfast with my mom.  She treated (thanks, Mom!), which was very nice of her.  The boys (really I mean Sebastian...Adrian is always good) were actually good today, and that was an added bonus.  Then we went to Market Basket to do our shopping and Lowe's to look for light fixtures for over the dining room table.  Nothing.  After siesta time, we packed up the bikes and went to Hull.  We rode from my dad's house with my boys in the trailer down to the Paragon carousel.  Adrian liked it and Sebastian cried.











After the carousel, the boys played briefly with hula hoops out in front.



We took a very short walk...




And then went to the arcade.  The boys were content to "drive" without putting any money in the machines!  ;-)


Then the boys and I hung out on the porch while Grumpy and Papi cooked.









After we ate, we went straight home!  It was just 7pm as we pulled in the driveway.  Bedtime for the boys--they have a long day at daycare tomorrow...I'm so sad!!

No comments: