Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Finally a House Project! The Master Bathroom

Way back in November, I traveled to Phillips Andover for a conference.  I stayed in the Andover Inn, and I loved their bathroom.  It had just been redone, and It reminded me a little of our bathroom with all the while tile.  I wish ours were subway tile, but at least it's white and pretty innocuous.


So we decided to paint our bathroom a similar blue/gray color.  We went to Lowe's and picked three colors we liked.  We brought home sample jars and went at it on the wall.  Probably not the smartest way to go about this, but that's what we did.  At first, we liked the top color, so we painted to the left, over the toilet, with more of the color to see how we felt.  I'm glad we did because then we didn't like it anymore.  We decided to go with color # 3, at the bottom of this photo.  It's called Jumping Jack from Olympic.

Here's another look.  I'm so horrible with photography, but it doesn't help that I didn't bother to take out the real camera.

Once we decided on the color, Carlos taped some of the trim that was most at risk of my getting paint on it.




I painted the ceiling white (because the previous owner had not done the world's best job), and then put primer over the sample colors so they wouldn't affect the final color.




When we ready to do the walls, I did the cutting in, Carlos did the rolling.  I did a lousy job cutting in.  I just did it by hand. I ended up getting too much on the ceiling.  So then I had to go back and touch up the ceiling.  And then, I had to retouch the walls.  I used a Meditech folder I had lying around to make the edges straighter, but I kept getting white paint on the blue walls and blue paint on the white ceiling. I got it looking decent.  Then Carlos came behind with a small paintbrush (like you'd use on a model car!) and did the final touch ups.  Today I went to Lowe's and bought a paint edger so that I'll never go through this again.  It's like the folder but made of metal so it won't bend or gape and is easily cleaned off.  Should have got one to begin with!

Here's the final product!  Ultimately, I like the room, but the color is a little too purple for my liking.  I had the same issue with a similar color (Slipstream by Martha Stewart) in the 3rd bedroom/playroom in Watertown.  Well, it's staying for now!

These pictures are so awful that I think the other ones I took on my iPhone are actually better. You can't even tell what the color looks like.






Here are the iPhone photos.

I don't like this piece of art for the bathroom, but it matches and there was a lonely nail over the toilet.  So it stays for now.





Eventually we'll replace the old medicine cabinet and those ugly light fixtures, but for now, that's all the attention this bathroom is getting!  We have other more pressing projects...


No comments: