Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Getting into Our New Routine

Today was the first day of the summer that I'm home with the boys all day by myself.  The emphasis there should be on the ALL DAY, not by myself.  I don't find it difficult to manage the boys on my own (most of the time).  In fact, I swear by the fact that except for logistics (it's harder to carry two boys  to the car and put them in car seats if you're only one person) they are better behaved when Papi isn't around.  Papi los chifla mucho!/Papi spoils them!  :)

Anyway, it was a fun day, but we didn't do anything thrilling.  It was so incredibly muggy that I didn't want to spend much time outside with them.  So, we hit up Target at 8am when it opened.  I needed hair detangler for Sebastian (that kid's mop gets so tangled in the back!) and I wanted to look in their dollar section for little stupid things I can pack for them one the plane--new toys they have never seen before.  I found some goofy, gooey, squeeze balls and some light-weight toy trucks.  I also bought two coloring books and some crayons.  I'll keep adding silly things to the collection as I find stuff I think will keep them occupied.  The boys were pretty good at Target.  Sometimes they act up in the stores lately.  But as long as they have something we are buying in their hands, they are ok for a limited amount of time!

After Target we came home and played until lunch time.  We had lunch at 11 today and nap at 11:30 (a half an hour early) because the boys had a haircut appointment at 2:30 and I didn't want to cut their normally two-hour nap short.  After grilled cheese and pretzel goldfish crackers, the boys went right down for their nap.  They woke up and off we went to Exhale in Bridgewater to see Maria for the third time--their hair grows like weeds!  I can't believe they have desperately needed three haircuts already!

Surprisingly, Sebastian was the better of the two boys with Maria.  He settled down after a few minutes, and even though he didn't like the buzzer at the end, he was ok for the most part.  Adrian, on the other hand, fussed throughout the whole haircut.  Kudos to Maria for getting it done anyway!

Funny story while the boys were getting their hair cut.  Sebastian saw a poster of a woman on the window--her head was bigger than his whole body.  He woofed at it!!  Either he thought she was really ugly or he mistook her for a dog!  The whole place was cracking up!





I couldn't get a picture of Sebastian in the car--he kept fussing.  After the haircuts we took a stretch break at my mom's and let them run around in the yard.  They went to visit their friend the pig statue.  Boy do they love that darn pig!  They pet him and squealed with delight!  Sebastian made piggy noises at him--I'd never heard him make pig noises before.  He's quite good at it...



Here's a video of them enjoying the pig.  The pig should have a name--what should we call him?

http://youtu.be/YpeKwy0mgVU

After Mugie's house, we came home and the boys found a new, creative use for their slide.  Tio Jim would be proud--Sebastian now has an afternoon chair!







Surfing!





Practicing his sumo wrestling stance

Then Adrian put on his helmet (backwards, of course) and rode his Home Depot truck around.


Grandpa came to visit, much to everyone's delight.  Dad, take your pick of which photos you like best!




And then it was dinner time, and the boys made the biggest mess I think they've made to date.  They had chicken I made for them and loved it. (A good recipe from my mom: 1 8oz bottle of Catalina dressing, a package of onion soup mix, and a can of whole berry cranberry sauce.  You just mix those things together and dump them over chicken breasts or thighs.  I used boneless, skinless thighs and dumped it all in the crockpot for 6 hours.  Yummy!)  Then they had yogurt with a spoon.  They slapped it on their chests, rubbed it on their bellies, and then spread it on their faces.  They giggled hysterically the whole time, probably because Papi was giggling the whole time too.  They love to perform for him...








I mean look at these kids?!  Will they ever learn?  Mechanically, they are getting better with the spoon.  But they still seem to love the feel of sticky yogurt on their hands in all over their bodies.  I don't understand, but hope they outgrow it soon!  Here's a video of their yogurt antics tonight.

http://youtu.be/Dvvc19nT5ig

No comments: