Thursday, December 8, 2011

Kangaroo Care with both babies at once

Yesterday was a great day for me.  I got a lot of time with the boys.  When I arrived at the NICU, Marcy had me laughing about the boys.  Apparently they continue to believe (but especially Sebastian) that they have monsters under their incubators.  They don't like their new home in the intermediate NICU as much as the last one!  Anyway, Sebastian just wanted to be held all day.  So she eventually took him out and sat with him in a chair for most of the morning.  She had her infant CPR renewal certification class in the afternoon at 3pm, so she was reading over her manual with Sebastian in her arms.  He was quiet and happy with her.  She said she kept looking at him thinking he was asleep and he'd be there alert as anything staring at her while she read.

Meanwhile, my poor Adrian had a slight irritation with the IV in his foot for the antibiotics he was on.  Marcy changed the IV and noticed the other one was a bit swollen where someone else had put the old IV in his foot/ankle.  The doctors, just to be on the safe side, gave him a broader spectrum antibiotic to treat any possible infection he could have due to the IV and did some blood work.  We don't know the results yet, but should know today if he has any infections.  If he does, he stays on the antibiotic for another few days.  If he doesn't have an infection, he finishes with his original course of antibiotics (for the ruptured membrane) tomorrow and then he's IV free.  He takes it all in stride, though.  He's a tough little guy, no doubt about it.

So I did a little kangaroo care with both boys.  First time I've held them both at once, and it's tough in the chair!  Both boys squirm themselves into little balls and end up in the most uncomfortable looking positions on my chest.  They seem fine though, and are happy just to be held.  At one point, though, I had to have a nurse rescue Sebastian!  I felt like a terrible mom!  Adrian moved, and when I tried to put him back into place, Sebastian got fussy and squirmed himself right down off my chest.  He was face-down on my leg!  Luckily, a nearby nurse rescued us and returned him to his place on my chest!  Phew!!  

They have quite the appetite now.  I can definitely notice when they are hungry.  They both get restless and fussy, but calm down once they have their belly full.  It's nice to start to get to know their signs so I'll have a better idea of what they are like when I get them home and am on my own.  In the meantime, they have us changing diapers, taking temperatures, swaddling, and putting them in and out of the incubators.  It's good practice.
This is the closest the boys have been to each other since they left the womb 12 days ago!  At one point, Adrian had his head on Sebastian's back.  Sebastian didn't seem to mind.



Carlos came in at 4:30 and took both boys and kangarooed them as well.  He was loving it...and so were the boys.  I'm lucky to have a husband who is so thrilled to hold them and have them close.

Poor Adrian with his new IV.  I can't wait for him to not have those splints on his hands/feet!


This is Sebastian, but that's Adrian's IV hand right next to him.

So content with Carlos...


And last, but certainly not least, our friend Michelle who came to visit last night.  Adrian loved her, and I think she loved Adrian!  Thank you for coming, Michelle!!!

1 comment:

Michelle LaRowe said...

You (AMY) are a natural! Carlos, too.. I guess, but we probably shouldn't let him know!