Sunday, December 25, 2011

Ultrasound photos

I've been wanting to post ultrasound photos for a while now, mainly so that I have them on the blog so that the boys can see them someday (when they are bad and I try to make them feel guilty by forcing them for the 1,000 time to read about how they caused me to be on bed rest for 6 weeks).  I have a TON of ultrasound photos from when I was at the Brigham (I had an ultrasound nearly every other day!), but ironically the best ones seem to be from before I was on bed rest. 

At 12 weeks, they did an early risk assessment.  This is a better alternative (at least to start with) than amniocentesis which carries a relatively substantial risk to it (at least in my mind it does).  By measuring the fluid behind the neck of the baby, they can give you the odds of whether your baby has Down Syndrome or not.  I actually went to MGH for this test since the Brigham doesn't do it.  Carlos unfortunately missed this ultrasound because he was in Mexico, but it was the first time I saw the babies where they looked like babies.


This is Baby Two, Upper Right, AKA Sebastian Diego.

Baby One, Lower Left, AKA Adrian Jonathan 
The only ultrasound picture I have with the two babies together.  Sebastian is on top, Adrian on the bottom.

This is now 18 weeks, the day we found out we were having two boys.  This is Sebastian.  Note his little fingers by his head.  

Adrian at 18 weeks.

We never got a 3-D ultrasound picture, although a few of the technicians did try.  Before Adrian's water broke, he had poor Sebastian wedged so high into my rib cage that I couldn't breathe and Sebastian couldn't even show his face to us in an ultrasound.  They couldn't get a profile for me!  After Adrian's water broke, Sebastian took his revenge and had Adrian squished into the lower left corner of my uterus, but Sebastian still refused to show his face for us!  They tried once to get a 3-D picture of Adrian after the water broke, but you really need fluid around the face for the image to come out.  It ended up looking like a werewolf baby...I had to have the nurse reassure me a few times that my baby wouldn't look like the baby in the image!  ;)  Maybe I'll scan that picture and put it up later...it's actually quite hysterical.

No comments: