Monday, December 19, 2011

Santa's Visit to the NICU

Well, that's it.  My boys are superstars.  They are 36 weeks today and have already started their modeling careers.

Santa visited the NICU today, and because my boys are so cute and were dressed in their Santa outfits (Thanks, Mom!!!), they will possibly appear in promotional materials for the Brigham and the NICU, and they may also be in the Boston Herald in the next few days.  (Actually, I think we owe this gig to Marcy being on top of things and my being around when most parents weren't in the NICU yet to give their consent.  But their cuteness also definitely had something to do with it...)

The nurses and I took the following photos.  I have some better ones from the professional photographers that they gave me.  But I still don't have a scanner so that I can upload them to the blog.

Adrian is alert much more of the time lately, and yet he basically slept through his visit with Santa.  Sebastian pulled his beard at one point, but I was about 2 seconds too late with the camera to capture it.

For anyone who's wondering, Santa is one of the NICU doctors.  So not a random dude off the street who doesn't know how to handle a preemie. 

Probably the first of many photos with Santa where at least one of the boys is crying...

I had to get in on the action.


Adrian. 

I wish I had gotten less blurry pictures where you could see their "I love Santa" onesies, but it was so chaotic there when they were taking all the professional photos that I was lucky to get in any at all with my own camera.

Marcy, the boys' primary nurse is off until 12/28, so we will miss her terribly.  Luckily, our other favorite nurse will have them for 3 days while she's out.  But the rest of the days we don't know who will look after them.  We have loved everyone at the Brigham who has taken care of them, but we definitely have gotten attached to their primaries.  You can't help it when they are with your babies so much and they look after them with such thoughtfulness and affection.  Before she left today, Marcy actually gave the boys 2 cute little outfits each for Christmas.  One set says "Mommy's rockstar" and the other says, "Handsome like Daddy."  Very thoughtful and lovely of her.

I also had a meeting with the NICU social worker, the director of the NICU, and Marcy today.  This is routine for babies that are almost ready to go home.  The doctor is very pleased with their progress, and he said that they could go home almost any day now.  They basically have two things left to do: drink all of their bottles for 2 days straight and they need to come out of the isolettes and maintain body temperature.  They could probably already come out of the isolettes, but they are leaving them in there until the bottle requisite is met first.  So at this point, I'm actually hoping they stay in the NICU long enough for Marcy's return on the 28th.  That way she can be the one to discharge them (hopefully).

So, for those of you who are dying to see them for the first time or again, we hope it won't be long now before they are home!




No comments: